The management of Thisday Newspapers said former Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi, was chosen for the Governor of the Decade award based on what it called his “salient and often overlooked epochal contributions to governance In Nigeria”.
Obi was Monday night honoured as Governor of the Decade by Thisday Newspaper at its Silver Jubilee anniversary.
The newspaper listed these contributions to include:
- Introduction of civility to Government
- We have investigated in the banks and found out that the money he saved is real – an example to Governors that only accumulate debt for their states.
- His massive infrastructural development that is still the talk of the town in Anambra State and beyond.
- His singular, earth-quaking rebuilding of the education sector in Anambra State.
- The altering of the political calendar of Nigeria through epochal court judgements.
One of Nigeria’s most fervid defenders of democracy, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, while speaking during the presentation of the award said: “ We have watched you over the years, you will go higher my son.”