Nigeria has been hit by a series of suicide blasts in the past month. The actions of the mob stopped the latest attack, police say. Photo / AP
Angry mob Tuesday afternoon lynched a suspected terrorist bomber while he was trying to detonate some Improvised Explosive Devices (IED’s) loaded in a bag at the popular Gombe Line Motor Park located in the heart of Gombe town.
Meanwhile, former Commonwealth Secretary-General, Emeka Anyaoku, has urged Nigerian leaders at all levels to denounce and stand united against the activities of the Boko Haram insurgents and stop the continued massacre of innocent people across the country.
Anyaoku gave the charge as some people internally displaced by the increasing Boko Haram attacks in the North East appealed to the Federal Government to brace up their effort in ending the insurgency in the country.
According to eyewitnesses, the suspect tried to force himself through the main gate of the motor park with his bag when security personnel were screening passengers,but was immediately caught by angry youths and set ablaze after the explosives were found to be carefully packed in the bag and ready to explode.
The state’s commissioner of police, Abdullahi Kudu, confirmed the incident.
Kudu , who arrived the scene almost immediately told journalists that the explosion would have been devastating if the IEDs had been detonated at the scene where about ten persons died when a bomb exploded barely three weeks ago.
Kudu said he was pleased with the response of the police and other security outfits, even though the suspect was lynched by the angry youths.
According to him, the suspected bomber tried to force himself into the park even when the security at the gate insisted his bag must be searched, but onlookers desperately pounced on the suspect and the mob action overtook the event. He said five components of RPG’s and other components of ammunition were found in the suspect’s bag while Police had since cordoned off the area and dispersed onlookers at the scene as at the time of filing this report. He cautioned members of the public to be more alert and security conscious.
“There was a scuffle. He was overpowered by the onlookers who pounced on him in order to assist in making sure his bag was searched.
“Mob action overtook the event but we thank God he was not able to detonate the explosives because he had a remote. The remote was equally recovered,” he said.
According to him, a bomb disposal team safely defused the the explosives, which are five rocket-propelled grenades, two mortars, two cylinders and five detonators.
At least eight people were killed and 34 injured on October 31 when explosions rocked the same bus station during the morning rush hour.
The police said at the time that three suspects were arrested for allegedly planting the bombs, which were concealed in bags.
The trio came from neighbouring Yobe to the north, which is one of three northeast states under emergency rule because of sustained Boko Haram violence.
Tuesday’s killing happened after one of Nigeria’s most powerful Muslim leaders, the Emir of Kano, gave his public backing to vigilantes fighting Boko Haram and urged others to form civilian militias.
The comments, a rare foray into political and military affairs by a cleric, were interpreted as a criticism of Nigeria’s armed forces, who have failed to end the Boko Haram insurgency.